Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Cauliflower Crust Grilled Cheese Recipe *Updated*

Spring is nearly here and soon we will breaking out the tee shirts, shorts and heaven forbid the swimsuits! Time to get active and start eating healthy.

I love a grilled cheese sandwich but found a healthier option while watching Dr. Oz.  If you like cooked cauliflower you will probably enjoy this recipe. Don't expect it to taste like a grilled cheese, there is no bread and the strongest flavor is the cauliflower.

 1 head cauliflower, cut into small florets (should yield 3 cups of cauliflower
1 egg, lightly beaten
½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
½ teaspoon fine grain sea salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper


I used a large head of cauliflower and it made 3 sandwiches. I don't have a food processor so I tried using my blender, that was a mistake. I could only grate a few pieces at a time and it was taking forever. I ended up using my old school hand grater and it was much faster and shredded the cauliflower into very fine pieces.

UPDATE *Since I posted this recipe I have found green giant riced cauliflower In the freezer section. This will eliminate alot of hard work grating a head of cauliflower. Might want to pick up 2 bags because I'm not sure how much it will make.

Cauliflower crust “bread” slices

Preheat oven to 450°F (220°C) 
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly coat with canned spray. Set aside.

In a food processor rice the cauliflower florets ( I used a hand held grater)



Place cauliflower rice into a microwave-safe dish and microwave on high for 7 minutes, until cooked.

Put the cauliflower rice in a tea towel and twist it to squeeze as much moisture as you can. This is very important. The cauliflower rice needs to be dry, otherwise you’ll end up with mushy dough, impossible to use as slices of bread.

Transfer the cauliflower rice to a mixing bowl, add egg, mozzarella, salt and pepper and mix well.





Spread cauliflower mixture onto the lined baking sheet and shape into squares.




Place in the oven and bake for about 10 minutes on one side, carefully flip over and cook another 5 mins.

Remove and let cool 10 minutes before removing.

Assemble cauliflower crust grilled cheese

Heat a pan over medium heat.
Butter one side of each slice of cauliflower crust bread (preferably the top part).
Place one slice of bread in the pan, buttered side down, add a slice of cheese  (I use colby jack) then top with the remaining slice of cauliflower crust bread, buttered side up.

Turn the heat down a notch and cook until golden brown, about 2 to 4 minutes.
Gently flip and cook until golden brown on the other side, about 2 to 4 minutes.





I was pretty pleased with my first attempt at making these! I didn't even break any of the slices when I flipped them. I sprinkled a little more salt and pepper before testing the appetizing square of toasted cauliflower and cheese.

It was delicious!!

Unfortunately I did not know that my husband hates cooked cauliflower! He loves it raw but can't stand the taste when it's cooked. Like a good hubby he ate one sandwich but I could tell he didn't like it. As for me and the dog (she loved it too) we will be making this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment